Sometimes there are days when you don't feel like working out, but you still want to get a calorie burn in. Or maybe your did your workout, but it wasn't "enough" (which is usually my issue) and you want to get your body moving a little more without having to head back to the gym or get your equipment out. Or maybe you're just looking for some extra ways to combat the calories consumed by sneaking bites of your kids halloween candy. Good news - all you have to do is vacuum for about 20 minutes to guiltlessly enjoy one fun sized candy (on average)! A clean house AND chocolate?! Talk about a win-win!
See the list below for some other ways you can get your fitness fix in around the house*!
1. Cooking Dinner: Not only will you save money and eat healthier (typically) by eating at home, but you can burn over 100 calories just by cutting, chopping and cooking your dinner (and doing a quick clean up!) for 45 minutes.
2. Vacuuming: Spend 30 minutes vacuuming your living room and burn a 100 calories without even realizing it! Not only will your house be clean, but you'll be on your way to losing weight as well!
3. Grocery Shopping: Spend 45 minutes grocery shopping with a cart and get a calorie burn of about 110. Use a basket instead and burn closer to 150 calories in the same amount of time!
4. Putting away groceries at home: Those groceries you just bought aren't going to put themselves away - do this for 30 minutes and burn an additional 80 calories!
5. Washing your car: Take advantage of nice weather and wash your car by hand. Have kids? Get them involved as well and make it a fun family activity! Washing your car for 60 minutes can burn about 200 calories!
6. Play Darts: Grab your husband, or a friend, and play darts! Playing darts for 60 minutes can burn close to 150 calories! Make it a date night and grab a drink while you play - chance are you're still coming out ahead (calorie-wise)!
7. Gardening: Been meaning to pull weeds or plant some new flowers around the yard? Get on it! Spend an hour in the yard gardening and you can burn over 175 calories!
8. Shoveling Snow: Brrr! Now I HATE the cold, but that fact that you can burn almost 300 calories shoveling snow for 45 minutes might actually motivate me to shovel this year! Just think of the hot chocolate and whipped cream that you can have as a treat to warm up once you're done!
9. Swimming: Jump in the pool (indoor or out) for a 30 minute leisurely swim to burn close to 200 calories! Want to burn more? Swim laps at a moderately (and consistent) pace instead and push that calorie burn up even more.
10.) Walk the dog (or kids in a stroller): Walking at a moderate pace for an hour can burn roughly 200 calories. Pushing the stroller can add make that number a little bit higher, so get the kids (or dog) ready and get going!
Working out isn't only accomplished by spending hours in the gym! Opportunities for fitness and exercise are all around us, you just have to get up and get motivated! As long as you're eating healthy, adding on these activities can help you slim down without having to worry about spending extra time at the gym. Now grab a buddy and get moving!
*These numbers are based on a 140lb person and have been pulled from the WebMD and MyFitnessPal calorie calculators. Each individual can have a different calorie burn based on their individual energy output and body makeup. This is only intended to serve as a guide, please use a heart rate monitor or do additional research for your weight for more specific numbers .